Editing: Multiple Camera Mode (Discussion)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Multiple camera vs. single camera
Multiple-Camera Production: All My Children
- What is the difference between the two modes of production?
- What is it about these two scenes from soap operas that mark them as multiple-camera productions?
- Similarly, how can you tell that this The New Adventures of Old Christine episode, “Ritchie Scores” (8 January 2007) is a multiple-camera sitcom?
- See video clip (password: telestylistics).
- All Groups: List at least three multiple-camera aspects of the scene that it shares with the As the World Turns and All My Children examples.
- In which situations is single camera preferred? In which is multiple camera preferred?
- All Groups: List at least two examples of each.
- All Groups: List four single-camera TV shows and four multiple-camera shows, but don't use the examples in the textbook.
- Single camera:
- Multiple camera:
Multiple-camera exercise: "The Contest," Seinfeld, October 26, 1992
- Pretend you are director Tom Cherones and map out the camera positions for this scene. Where would you cut? Which camera-position would you use for each shot?
Seinfeld set miniature by Charles Brogdon.
- Butler, Jeremy G. Television: Visual Storytelling and Screen Culture. New York: Routledge, 2018.